Western Australia’s mining and resources sector gathered last night to celebrate the power of gender diversity, with the 12th annual Chamber of Minerals and Energy of WA’s (CME) Women In Resources Awards.
A crowd of nearly 1000 people gathered at the Perth Exhibition and Convention Centre to see five inspiring women from Cube Consulting, Fortescue Metals Group, South 32 and Woodside Energy recognised in the individual award categories.
BHP was recognised in the company initiative category.
CME Chief Executive Paul Everingham paid tribute to the winners and their inspirational stories.
“These women reflect the enormous value that diversity and inclusion provide to our sector,” Mr Everingham said.
“Some are currently in leadership positions and some will progress to those types of roles. But each is already an outstanding role model for the tens of thousands of women who work each day on mining and resources operations around WA, and many more who might be considering careers in our sector.
“I’m very proud to work in a sector that has a genuine commitment to promoting and achieving equality, inclusivity and diversity in its workforce.
“By recognising and celebrating not just our award winners but also the finalists in each category, we can hopefully further shine the spotlight on the extremely wide variety of jobs, career pathways and leadership opportunities available to women in our sector.”
The winners last night were:
- Women in Resources Champion: Rebecca Prain, Managing Director, Cube Consulting
- Outstanding Woman in Resources: Sara Braund, Vice President- Digital Technology, South32
- Outstanding Young Woman in Resources: Pooja Haria, Reliability Engineer, Fortescue Metals Group
- Outstanding Operator/Technician/Trade Woman in Resources: Laura Allen, Process Owner, Woodside Energy
- Technological Innovation Award: Alison van Lent, Commercialisation Manager, Woodside Energy
- Outstanding Company Initiative: BHP, Office creche and family-friendly workspaces – Perth and Newman
- People’s Choice Award: Pooja Haria, Reliability Engineer, Fortescue Metals Group.