CME Eastern Regional Underground Mine Emergency Response Challenge
More than 14 mine rescue teams from across WA participated in the CME Underground Mine Emergency Response Competition, held in the Goldfields at the weekend.
The competition was held at Barrick Gold Ltd’s Bullant Gold Mine. It was the first time the competition had been held at this location.
The attendance of the Hon Norman Moore MLC, WA Minister for Mines and Petroleum, highlighted the competition’s critical role in improving the safety record of the WA resources sector. Mr Moore addressed more than 350 attendees at the competition presentation night.
Competition award winners were:
- Xstrata Nickel Cosmos 1st Best Team
- Barrick Yilgarn 2nd Best Team
- Newcrest Telfer 3rd Best Team
- Craig Stonham (BHPB Leinster) Incident Management Scenario
- Xstrata Nickel Cosmos Fire Fighting
- Barrick Yilgarn First Aid
- Newcrest Telfer Overall First Aid
- Xstrata Nickel Cosmos Search & Rescue
- Newcrest Telfer Rope Rescue
- AngloGold Ashanti Sunrise Dam Breathing Apparatus Skills
- Xstrata Nickel Cosmos Team Skills
- Xstrata Nickel Cosmos Team Safety
- Barrick Yilgarn Theory
- Peter Appel (Barrick Yilgarn) Theory Individual
- Shane Skinner (Xstrata Nickel Cosmos) Best Captain
- Michael Hobbs (Sunrise Dam) Best New Captain
- Avoca Resources Best New Team
- Rope Rescue Scenario Best Scenario
It is the first time that Xstrata Nickel Cosmos has won the competition.
CME Eastern Regional Council Chair Russell Cole acknowledged the efforts of all those involved in organising the competition: “The efforts of the competing teams, adjudicators, sponsors and volunteers over this weekend demonstrate our industry’s unwavering commitment to zero injuries and fatalities.”